Thursday, February 3, 2011

A transport of delight - reprise

One of the useful things that the East Coast (and other train) website does is send email alerts when tickets are released for sale. Train tickets are available up to three months before travel and the sooner you book, generally, the cheaper deals you can get. At the moment travel is available up to the end of April including the Royal Wedding Day (hurrah?) 


Last week the tickets to get Sally and me to Eastercon were released but the return ones were not. Given that singles are usually cheaper I had bought the outgoing tickets. Today the return tickets came available and I went to book. Horrors! Only full priced (and first class) singles were available from Birmingham International at £35. An off peak return is £37.80. I was not happy. 


I didn't panic though; I remembered Martin Moneytips advice and split the trip. Birmingham International to New Street turns out to cost £2.30 at my time of travel. Birmingham New Street to Sheffield, seat booked, cost £10.50. Instead of £35 I have paid £12.80, a fairly good saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment