Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lending out my books

So Jack is heading back to Oxford and he's 'borrowing' some books. He's burrowed through the boxes of books stored under the eaves to find all my Pratchett books, leaving the stacks in disarray, and then asked for some other light reading. What to loan? I picked out Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester, After the First Death by Robert Cormier, The Rape of the Fair Country by Alexander Cordell, Four Ways to Forgiveness by Ursula LeGuin (the paperback), The Worlds of Theodore Sturgeon and Miss Mole by E. H. Young. I hesitated and then took the Cordell back as it's no longer in print. It's not that I don't trust him but I'd be very grumpy if that didn't come back or was damaged. It's fragile enough as it is. Pan didn't print on high quality paper and it's an 1969 edition. Anyway, I'm not sure what 'A tremendously lusty novel' of industrial Wales would mean to a generation who have never seen heavy industry in this country.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment